12 Posts

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 726
  • stats Total Posts: 523
  • stats Total Topics: 276
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 19
  • stats Most Online: 324

Author Topic: File Manager Slow  (Read 7684 times)

omega0401

• View Profile
File Manager Slow
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:00:39 pm »

I have a Transcend 16GB SD card with a folder that is 1.7GB in size, 2,346 files and 63 folders.  It is formatted as exFat. When I use File Manager to open the folder I get a message "Please Wait" and a green bar very slowly going across the screen.  It looks as though File Manager is building some kind of index before opening the folder.  I've cancelled it because at the rate it's moving it would be at least an hour and probably longer. 

Is there something wrong?  Is this normal?  Is anyone else having this problem?

I've seen this same problem with a smaller folders with only 4 files in it but finally opened the folder after about a 5 minute wait.

The manual says to use an exFat formatted SD card which I am.   

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • iPad Boards
Re: File Manager Slow
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:45:10 am »
What speed class is your SD card?  There should be a little number on it that ranges from 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10.  Large folders like that with over a gig of info can take a really long time to transfer over if you have a card rated at 2 or even 4.  Higher speed class cards cost a bit more but for large files can be worth it.  That is if that's the problem.  Hard to tell without seeing it myself.

You can read more about SD speed classes here:  https://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdhc/

omega0401

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:48:26 pm »
Thanks for the link.  I have a class 10 card. 

Latest update:  After trying a few times I finally got into the folder.  I can't remember if I just left it running but I somehow got into the folder.  Each time thereafter, I went into the folder it was quick. I took the card out to put into my PC, added and removed some files (not much) and put it into the Thrive. When I tried to get into the folder I got the dreaded "Please Wait" and it seemed to be doing something all over again. 

I seems that every time you remove the card and put it back in again it starts to do its things whatever that is and you wait and wait.  I hope Toshiba can look into this.   

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • iPad Boards
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:30:14 pm »
Hmmm...interesting. Haven't heard of that before.  Let us know if you find a resolution.

omega0401

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 03:33:16 pm »
Update: I reformatted my SD card back to FAT32 and reloaded my files.  I inserted it into the Thrive and File Manager opened it up with no delay at all and found all my files.  I took the card out and put it back in again and it still worked perfectly.  Lesson learned: don't use a card formatted as exFAT.   

chuckpo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:55:01 am »
I also ONLY use fat32 and external Harddrive 500 Gig and thumb drives always work great!

tincbtrar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:54:17 am »
I am used to using Root Explorer on my phone...have not yet checked to see if its Honeycomb compatible.

Looking forward to using Toshiba's FM to see how it works...looks similar to RE.