12 Posts

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 726
  • stats Total Posts: 523
  • stats Total Topics: 276
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 19
  • stats Most Online: 324

Author Topic: Thrive or ipad?  (Read 9887 times)

tabletconfused

• View Profile
Thrive or ipad?
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:06 pm »

Which is better, the Toshiba Thrive or the iPad2?

Robotgirl

• View Profile
Re: Thrive or ipad?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:08 pm »
The Toshiba Thrive and Apple iPad2 are two very different animals.  The iPad2 is certainly lighter and thinner, but the Thrive has much better connectivity options.  Also, it depends on whether you are a fan of the closed Apple iOS ecosystem or you like the more open Android model.  Right now there are more apps available for iOS, but that will change as Android continues to catch up.  As for the hardware, while I like light and thin, I feel the iPad2 is hobbled by forcing you to just use its proprietary connector for everything.  If I want to expand memory on the Toshiba Thrive all I need to do is buy an SD card and pop it in.  I can't do that with the iPad2.  If I want to watch hidef tv all I need to do is plug a cable into the built in HDMI port on my Thrive...the iPad2 doesn't have one and requires an additional dongle.  Same goes for USB Ports.   So yes...thin is nice...but at what price?

RK

• View Profile

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • iPad Boards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
It should do well when it's released.  It offers the best connectivity of any tablet out so far.  I just wonder how much thinner they'd be able to make a 'Thrive 2' and still keep all the full size ports.   That'll be an engineering challenge.

Staberinde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:33:28 pm »
The Toshiba Thrive and Apple iPad2 are two very different animals.  The iPad2 is certainly lighter and thinner, but the Thrive has much better connectivity options.  Also, it depends on whether you are a fan of the closed Apple iOS ecosystem or you like the more open Android model.  Right now there are more apps available for iOS, but that will change as Android continues to catch up.  As for the hardware, while I like light and thin, I feel the iPad2 is hobbled by forcing you to just use its proprietary connector for everything.  If I want to expand memory on the Toshiba Thrive all I need to do is buy an SD card and pop it in.  I can't do that with the iPad2.  If I want to watch hidef tv all I need to do is plug a cable into the built in HDMI port on my Thrive...the iPad2 doesn't have one and requires an additional dongle.  Same goes for USB Ports.   So yes...thin is nice...but at what price?

I agree totally with the above.

In other places, like engadget and cnet I'm getting a bit tired of everyone comparing tablets to the iPad.

Yep the iPad is very stable tablet, but the thing I love about Android OS is it is open source. Give it a while and it will have evolved by far into the most stable and varied OS.

Hard ware wise... Robotgirl says it all.  Thrive wins for me... I don't even have one YET! Roll on it's release in the UK.

janeF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:52 am »
same here, I agree with robotgirl too. Both the two devices differ from features and other applications. Thrive also has features like a virtual keyboard with Swype technology, a gyroscope, an accelerometer, USB 2.0 and HDMI ports, and an SD card slot, so Thrive for me is still the best. Anyway since we're talking about tablets in here, I read in an article recently that Wall Street Journal reports that gaming retailer GameStop will sell Android tablets this Christmas. These Android tablets will be offered alongside non-GameStop branded iPads. The re-branded Android tablets will be enhanced for gameplay. Resource for this article: GameStop to offer Android gaming tablet for the holidays