12 Posts

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 726
  • stats Total Posts: 523
  • stats Total Topics: 276
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 19
  • stats Most Online: 324

Author Topic: ROOTING  (Read 13514 times)

moe3754

• View Profile
ROOTING
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:36:51 am »

If anyone is interested in rooting your thrive there is a very simple rooting procedure that can be done if you have not updated to 3.2 yet, if you have updated to 3.2 then it is a moot point because Toshiba has removed Fastboot from 3.2 and without it you cannot root your thrive. If you have not updated and would want root then please let me know and I will lead you in the right direction.
RED HTC Inspire 4G
Rooted with Hack Kit
 S-off
 Bindroid Rom V.2.1
 26.13.04.19_M Baseband
Android Version 2.3.5
 HTC Sense Version 3.5

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • iPad Boards
Re: ROOTING
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:55:39 pm »
I'd be interested in what method you're using to root moe.

moe3754

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:44:15 pm »
As stated in my sig I used Dalepl's Easy root tool but if you are on the latest OTA from Toshiba that removes fastboot from the Thrive you then need to use Dalepl's newest root tool that also replaces fastboot in the thrive then roots it.   I test for Dalepl and so I can vouch for him and the work he does.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:19:32 pm by Babyfacemagee »
RED HTC Inspire 4G
Rooted with Hack Kit
 S-off
 Bindroid Rom V.2.1
 26.13.04.19_M Baseband
Android Version 2.3.5
 HTC Sense Version 3.5

TimeTravelier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:14:45 pm »
May I ask .....  what is Rooting ??????

Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • iPad Boards
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 02:08:48 pm »
Rooting technically means to modify your tablet's software so that you have superuser access that gives you the ability to customize and change settings and even install custom Roms such as alternate operating systems, skins or other modifications.  In other words when a manufacturer makes a device like a tablet or a phone they usually put an operating system on and lock the device so that you can only access the settings...and use the software...the way they want.   But what if for instance you are not happy with the Honeycomb operating system that comes with your Thrive.   

There are 'custom Roms', which are other operating systems or other versions of Android that have features and capabilities that the version that came from the factory does not have.  For instance...overclocking of the CPU to make the machine faster.   'Rooting' means you've broken the protection mechanisms that Toshiba put on your tablet so that you can tinker and customize your tablet just the way you want...beyond what the manufacturer intended.   

Sometimes it even future-proofs your device because you can put a new operating system on your tablet even after the manufacturer has stopped issuing updates.  There are also instances when certain modifications and even some programs will only operate after your device is rooted.  One example is a a program called 'Honeybar' which allows you to make the little control bar on the bottom of your Thrive's screen disappear with a tap so you can have the full screen for programs and videos.  This mod only works if your tablet is rooted. 

If you're interesting in more info on why you might want to root your tablet or phone there's a bunch of articles around the web that explain different reasons.  One thing you should keep in mind is that rooting your tablet if you're not experienced doing it before does pose some risk if you don't do it right for harming your tablet and making it unusable.  It's not common but it does happen.  Therefore before you even try it make sure you read several different step by step instructions and follow them to a T.   It might even be a good idea the first time to contact someone...a friend, coworker, hobbyist or whoever...someone that has done it before to help out to make sure it's done right.  Here are few links to different articles around the web that talk about rooting in general as well as the Thrive specifically.   Some of these refer to Android phones instead of tablets but the underlying reasons why you might want to root remain the same regardless of the device.  Of course if you decide to proceed make sure you're following a Toshiba Thrive specific set of instructions to root as each device does it slightly differently.   In the end it's up to you and if the benefits are worth it to you and if you feel you're comfortable enough with tech gear and hacking that you feel ok to do it.

android authority: beginners-guide-to-root-your-android-phone-or-tablet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04/15/rooting-explained-top-5-benefits-of-rooting-your-android-phone/

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tablets/how-to-root-a-toshiba-thrive-tablet/172

http://www.tabletroms.com/index.php/2011/07/26/rooting-the-toshiba-thrive/

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:42:35 pm by Babyfacemagee »

ceabbott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 04:23:44 am »
Root is possible now with the exploit that a user by the name of of turnyourbackandrun and dalepl came up with. Google root for Toshiba thrive 3.2.1 I am currently running his latest OOM Rom.

Charles

chrispitude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:07 pm »
I sure hope rooting is possible on the Thrive once Ice Cream Sandwich is rolled out. I'd like to run the SwitchMe app:

http://lifehacker.com/5880029/switchme-dual-boots-your-android-with-multiple-profiles-for-better-battery-life-extra-privacy-and-more

so my wife and I can use our own profiles on the tablet. We each have our own GMail address, with our own sets of apps.

SEC_SAM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:05:22 pm »
I have dalepl's Thrive HTK55D.21.5.009 OOM Rooted ROM for the AT&T 4G.  My Thrive is NOT rooted.  The instructions advise to install ClockWorkMod Recovery before running update.zip.  However, the tablet must be rooted to install it.  So, what do I do?  My apologies for being so dense.

SEC_SAM

SEC_SAM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:02:15 pm »
Paul advises that the answer is to use his Universal program first and then install the new ROM.  Thanks Paul.  For those of you that want to make sure what you are doing, Paul is the very BEST.